Wow, it’s been a long time since I’ve done one of these! Thanks Jody for the nomination.
So, as always, here is how it works:
Thank the blogger who nominated you, linking back to their site.
Put the award logo on your blog.
Answer the ten questions sent to you.
Make up ten new questions for your nominees to answer.
Nominate ten blogs.
- What was your favourite book (series) when you were a teenager (and which you probably still secretly love)?
This is hard because when I was a teenager I never really read series of books, it was more standalones that I enjoyed. However I do love the Girls series by Jaqueline Wilson – they were awesome and made me feel like I was a real teenager. I also loved the Blue series by Julia Green. They were about a teenage girl who became pregnant and had a baby (they weren’t very popular but I LOVED them. I used to read them so often). They are Blue Moon and Baby Blue.
- Which genre do you absolutely never read?
Probably sci-fi because my brain can’t handle all of the random character names and planet names and all of the features of the worlds that the books are set in. My brain very much likes things set in a world that I recognise. Although, having said that, I don’t refuse or refrain from reading any genre – I just find that I tend to stick to the same genres time after time. But I will read any genre if the book interests me!
- Can you read a book while watching tv with one eye or is it too distracting?
Nope! I hate TV. If I had my way, we wouldn’t have a TV in the house. I think it’s distracting and mind numbing and a little pointless, although having said that I do sometimes watch TV dramas that really interest me or documentaries that sound interesting but only on iPlayer or other catch up services. I very rarely watch TV so I never really have the issue of trying to read and watch TV at the same time. Plus, I like to pay full attention to the book I’m reading so will very rarely multitask whilst reading.
- What is your favourite place to buy books?
I do love a good bookshop but finding a bargain online is a bit of an addictive thing and then getting a lovely big box of books in the post is pretty exciting. It’s like Christmas! I don’t really have any loyalties when it comes to buying books – I just try and find the best deals.
- Which character do you love to hate?
Bridget Jones. She’s such an iconic character but is so stereotypical. I hate how she is used to portray what single, middle aged women are like. NO, not all middle aged women pine after men, smoke to excess, constantly embarrass themselves and can’t cook to save their lives. A lot of women are fiercely independent and love being single so I guess I love to hate the kind of stereotype Bridget gives off.
- What was the best book you’ve read in 2015 so far?
I cannot choose just one! No way can I narrow it down that far. A few that I’ve loved though are The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins, Am I Normal Yet? By Holly Bourne and Reasons To Stay Alive by Matt Haig.
- For which book would you like to make the soundtrack?
Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens – the novel is so atmospheric that I reckon you could create a really exciting soundtrack for it. Songs full of tension, and some of victory and some of girl power too I think!
- Do you read more books by male or female authors?
I’d say it was a pretty even split. I guess maybe a few more female authors but only just. The genres I enjoy are well populated by both genders so it is a pretty even thing!
- The perfect length of a book?
About 350 pages?! I like a book that you can get into and enjoy but without it being too long so it gets boring and without it being too short that you don’t feel you’ve had enough time with the characters. I think 300-400 pages is probably my favourite length.
- Which book would you want to read for the very first time again?
Probably something like Gone Girl? Because I’ve already read it and know what happens, it’s almost pointless reading it again because I already know how it’s going to pan out. So reading it again without knowing what was going to happen would be good because it’s a really great book!
Well, there are my answers. I hope they make sense and aren’t too boring!
So, my questions for the people I nominate are:
- What is your favourite time of day to read?
- Think back to the last book you read – why did you choose to read it? Was the blurb good, was it a recommendation, or did you choose it at random?
- What was the last book you bought?
- If you could be any fictional character for a day, who would you be?
- Can you have more than one book on the go at the same time or do you have to completely finish one book before you can start the next?
- If you could meet any author, dead or alive, who would you choose to meet and why?
- What has been your most disappointing read of the year so far?
- What are the top three books on your wishlist?
- Which book are you most excited about reading this year?
- If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?
And anyone else who wants to do it!! I’m not sure which bloggers have done it or not so, yes, if you would like to do it then please do!